Policy, Guidelines, and Recommendations
Start Running, SARRC Running Groups, and SARRC Sanctioned Events and Participants
Approval and Review
This policy was adopted by the Board of South Australian Runners Club on 24th Oct 2017
This policy was last updated on 23rd Oct 2017
South Australian Road Runners Club (SARRC) is committed to the protection of personal information in accordance with the requirements of the National Privacy Principles contained in The Privacy Act (1988), as amended, and its respective regulations (referred to hereafter as the "Privacy Legislation").
It is a policy of SARRC not to interfere with an individual’s privacy rights in the way it collects, uses or disseminates personal information. Generally, SARRC will:
• not collect personal information unless it is necessary for its business activities
• only collect personal information lawfully and fairly;
• not use or disclose personal information about an individual for a purpose other than that for which it was collected unless such use or disclosure would be reasonably expected or has been expressly authorised or waived by the individual concerned;
• take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information it holds is accurate, complete and up-to-date;
• take reasonable steps to protect personal information from misuse or loss;
• where necessary, take reasonable steps to let a person know what sort of personal information it holds;
• where necessary and requested by the individual concerned and permitted by law and/or the rules of the sport, provide the individual with access to personal information held in relation to that individual;
• with some exceptions, only transfer such information to someone in a foreign country if that country has privacy laws similar to the Privacy Legislation; and
• not collect sensitive information without the consent of the individual concerned
"Personal information" encompasses all information which allows the identity of a person to be ascertained such as names, addresses, contact details and the like. "Sensitive information" includes political opinions, religious beliefs, professional or trade association memberships, sexual preferences and health information about an individual.
In the course of SARRC’s normal business activities, the type of information that will normally be collected and disseminated are as follows:
(1) Persons registered with SARRC: SARRC will store on its database, the name, date of birth, address, contact details and such details of past sporting performances of persons registered with SARRC. Unless SARRC obtains the prior consent of the individual person concerned, it will not disclose such information to third parties but may itself use this information for the purpose of furthering the interest and affairs of SARRC and entities with which it is associated, including but not limited to the publication and dissemination of competition entry/start lists and results, listings of records and rankings and personal biographies.
(2) Participants in SARRC permitted or organised sporting or related events: SARRC collects such details as the name, address, contact details, and relevant medical history of participants. Unless SARRC obtains the prior consent of the individual person concerned, it will not disclose such information to third parties but may itself use this information for the purpose of furthering the interest and affairs of SARRC and entities with which it is associated, including but not limited to the publication and dissemination of competition entry/start lists and results, listings of records and rankings and personal biographies.
(3) Board Members: SARRC collects details such as the date, place of birth, address and contact details of individual board members. In accordance with the requirements of the Corporations Act, it will also require board members to disclose any material interest they may have in relation to any particular transaction SARRC undertakes as well as a member’s shareholding in certain corporations. Except with the consent of the board member concerned, SARRC will only disclose such information to regulatory bodies such as the Australian Securities and Investment Commission, fellow board members or to such persons the General Manager deems necessary for the proper conduct of the business of SARRC.
(4) Staff Members, Contractors and Team Officials: SARRC collects and maintains information such as:
• contact details, performance or wages;
• terms and conditions and hours of employment/engagment;
• training, disciplining, resignation or termination;
• recreation, long service, sick, personal, parental or other leave; and
• taxation, banking or superannuation affairs and trade union membership, if applicable
for Staff Members, Contractors, Team Officials and such other persons who may be engaged in the organisation, conduct and delivery of SARRC competitions, events and programs on a remunerated and/or expense recovery basis.
SARRC will only disclose such records to its General Manager and where necessary, staff members, insurance companies, consultant, advisor or such other persons for the proper conduct of its business or to comply with legal requirements.
Use of personal information for SARRC’s business activities
SARRC uses the information collected in any of the above categories for the development of the sport of athletics, to keep persons informed about the sport, its activities and related products and for direct marketing purposes. Where possible, SARRC will only disclose such information where it has obtained the written consent of the individual concerned. In this instance, SARRC will provide an express option for persons to decline receiving marketing communications with SARRC, via an opt out mechanism.
At any time, you may notify SARRC should your contact details change or if you do not wish to receive marketing materials or any other communications from SARRC, by either telephoning SARRC on 08 7006 3203 or sending a request in writing to the below address; PO Box 10349 Adelaide SA 5000.