The 2018 SARRC year has started off on a high with boosted entrants, new participants and strong partner relationships.
If you didn’t attend the Clare Valley Half Marathon where the heck were you????
This year’s event was a huge success with unprecedented growth over all distances. Over 1100 entered the event with complimentary event entries given to event day pacers, Club Ambassador, and volunteer Start Running leaders.
At an operations meeting in February, the SARRC team identified that in order to accommodate the anticipated growth in the event, the start area needed to be relocated to the Clare Oval. This move was a great success, as it helped stagger the numbers entering the narrow start to the Riesling Trail.
Fast Facts on the 2018 Clare Valley Half Marathon
• 1100 entered runners over all distances
• Half Marathon entrants for 2018 exceeded the total event entrants in the record numbers of 2016
• All runners have (or will) receive the finishers medal, no matter what the distance to promote inclusiveness
• The event had superior timing and GoPro Finishers footage
• 17% of entrants were from Interstate or Overseas
• An economic impact to the region from Friday 20th April – Monday 23rd April has been collated at just over $1 million.
Anecdotally we understand that Cafes, Restaurants, Wineries, and Accommodation in the immediate and surrounding precinct enjoyed high levels of traffic and many accommodation businesses booked out 2 months in advance to the event.
Many entrants were first-time SARRC runners and chose the beautiful Clare Valley to participate in their first Running Event.
Thanks must go to the Clare and Gilbert Valleys Council for generously supporting the event and in particular the Kids Fun Run. Special thanks to Allan and Sue Mayfield, The Riesling Trail Committee, Mark Hill, the Local Police, The Roosters Football Club, and Larn McMurray.
With such a huge start to the Triple Crown Series, we cannot wait to see what Greenbelt and McLaren Vale have in store for us.